The Islamic Center of San Diego shooting left three people dead outside the mosque in Clairemont on Monday, May 18, 2026, as police investigated two teenage suspects who were later found dead nearby.
San Diego police said officers responded to a reported active shooter at about 11:43 a.m. PDT at the Islamic Center of San Diego, located in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue. Authorities said three adult men were killed outside the mosque, including a security guard.
Police Investigate Islamic Center of San Diego Shooting as Possible Hate Crime
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the two suspected shooters, ages 17 and 18, were found dead inside a vehicle nearby from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Police and the FBI are investigating the attack as a possible hate crime, though officials said no final motive had been determined.
Wahl said one suspect’s mother contacted police about two hours before the shooting. She reported that her son was missing, possibly suicidal, and that multiple weapons and her vehicle were also missing. Police said she also reported that he was with another person and that both were dressed in camouflage.
Authorities said the missing vehicle was believed to be near Fashion Valley Mall before police received calls about gunfire at the mosque. Officials also alerted school police connected to Madison High School because one suspect may have had a connection there.
Wahl said investigators were also reviewing a nearby incident in which a landscaper was shot at. The landscaper was not injured, and police said a helmet may have deflected a bullet.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria condemned the attack and said additional police officers would guard places of worship. “Islamophobia has no home in San Diego,” Gloria said.
The shooting has shaken San Diego’s Muslim community and raised renewed concerns about security at houses of worship. Authorities said the investigation remains active, with police still reviewing the suspects’ movements, weapons, and possible motive.