Union Minister Bandi Sanjay Kumar’s son Bandi Bhageerath Sai was arrested in Telangana after the High Court denied interim protection in a POCSO and sexual assault case involving a minor.
Union Minister’s Son Arrested After Court Order
Bandi Bhageerath Sai, son of Union Minister of State for Home Affairs and BJP MP Bandi Sanjay Kumar, was arrested on Saturday, May 16, 2026, in connection with a sexual assault case involving a 17-year-old girl. The arrest came hours after the Telangana High Court refused to grant him interim protection from arrest. According to the case details, Sai, aged 25, has been booked under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita. The case was registered after the minor girl accused him of harassment and sexual assault.
Bandi Sanjay Says Everyone Is Equal Before Law
Reacting to the development, Bandi Sanjay Kumar said that his son had gone before the Telangana Police through advocates for investigation. In a post on X on May 16, 2026, the minister said he had complete respect for the law and judiciary. He stated that whether it was his own son or a common citizen, everyone was equal before the law. Kumar also said that his son had consistently maintained that he had done nothing wrong. He added that after consulting legal experts and placing available evidence before them, they were advised to allow the matter to move through the legal process.
High Court Refuses Interim Protection
The Telangana High Court hearing reportedly continued until nearly midnight on Friday before Justice T Madhavi Devi declined to issue any interim protection order at that stage. During the hearing, Sai’s counsel argued that the complainant, the survivor’s mother, had stated that her daughter and Sai had entered into a relationship last year and that it was cordial. However, the bail plea was opposed by the survivor’s lawyer. After hearing both sides, the court said it was not inclined to grant interim relief at this stage, following which Sai was taken for investigation.
Sai Claims Honey-Trap And Extortion Attempt
Bandi Bhageerath Sai has denied the allegations and claimed that the case was linked to a honey-trap and extortion attempt. He alleged that he had earlier approached the police, claiming that the girl and her parents were pressuring him to marry her and demanding Rs 5 crore. Bandi Sanjay Kumar also rejected the allegations against his son and called them false propaganda by the Opposition. At the same time, the minister said he believed in fully cooperating with the investigation and respecting the judicial system.
Investigation To Proceed Under Legal Process
The case has gained political attention because Bandi Sanjay Kumar is a Union Minister and a senior BJP leader from Telangana. However, Kumar said there should be no hesitation from his side in cooperating with the inquiry, even though court proceedings are still underway and further orders are expected next week. He said he had complete faith in the justice system and added that justice may be delayed, but not denied. The matter will now continue through the police investigation and court process.