Trump Delays Iran Attack As Gulf Leaders Push Nuclear Deal
US President Donald Trump said he is postponing a planned military attack on Iran that had been scheduled for May 19,2026, citing requests from Gulf leaders and renewed negotiations with Tehran. Trump announced the decision May 18,2026 on Truth Social shortly after Iran confirmed it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the ongoing conflict. He said the United States would hold off on the planned military action against the Islamic Republic of Iran, but made clear that the delay does not remove the possibility of future action.
Qatar Saudi Arabia And UAE Push For Diplomacy
According to Trump, leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates urged him to delay the strike because serious negotiations are now taking place. He said Gulf nations believe a deal can still be reached, including an agreement that would prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. Trump also said he had informed the US military that the scheduled attack would not proceed Tuesday, while instructing commanders to remain prepared for a large-scale assault if talks fail to produce an acceptable agreement.
US Military Remains Ready If Negotiations Fail
The announcement follows several days of intensified pressure on Tehran. Trump recently warned that time was running out for Iran to reach a deal and suggested severe consequences if no agreement is made. The United States and Israel have been engaged in conflict with Iran since joint military strikes began in late February, a confrontation that has heightened tensions across the Middle East and contributed to rising global energy prices.
Nuclear Proposal Keeps Tehran Talks Alive
Diplomatic efforts have so far produced limited progress. The two sides have held only one round of talks in Pakistan despite a temporary ceasefire reached in April. Iran said Washington submitted a five-point proposal requiring Iran to operate only one nuclear site and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States. Tehran’s response emphasized that Iran would continue managing the Strait of Hormuz, a critical energy route that has remained largely closed since the war began.
Trump has insisted that reopening the Strait of Hormuz must be part of any future agreement. On Monday, the newly formed Persian Gulf Strait Authority said it would provide real-time updates on X about developments and operations in the waterway.