President Donald Trump’s Iran flag post has added new pressure to the widening U.S.-Iran standoff, as Washington reviews military options while regional mediators continue efforts to prevent a broader conflict.
Trump shared an edited image on his social media platform showing Iran covered in the colors of the American flag with the caption, “United States of the Middle East?” The post appeared to signal political pressure on Tehran as U.S. officials discussed possible military action if diplomacy fails.
US Iran Strike Options Remain Under Review
The post followed earlier AI-generated images shared by Trump showing missile strikes on Iranian boats, outer space warfare and an American flag flying over Iran. U.S. officials cited in the source material said Trump was seriously considering fresh military strikes against Iran if last-minute negotiations do not produce a breakthrough.
CBS News reported that the Trump administration was preparing for possible new strikes against Iran, though no final decision had been reached as of Friday, May 22, 2026.
The discussions reportedly included Vice President JD Vance, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, White House chief of staff Susie Wiles and other senior officials. The meeting focused on both active negotiations and military contingency planning.
Tehran Talks Continue With Pakistan and Qatar Involved
Diplomatic efforts remain active but fragile. Pakistan’s military chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, visited Tehran as part of a mediation push, while Qatar also sent mediators to support talks aimed at easing the crisis. Reuters reported that Munir met Iranian leaders as discussions centered on Iran’s proposed 14-point framework.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf told Munir that the United States was not an honest party in negotiations and said Iran would not compromise on its national rights, according to Iranian state television cited in the source material.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday, May 22, 2026, that Washington had seen some progress toward a deal, though more work remained. Iran’s foreign ministry said differences were still deep and significant.
The standoff matters because any renewed U.S. military action could affect regional security, nuclear diplomacy and shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical route for global energy markets.